Pregnenalone, is known as the mother hormone because it can be metabolized into several different types of hormones such as androgens, mineralcorticoids and progesterone. It has been widely studied in animals with impressive results. Pregnenolone benefits for men and women are numerous but not as well studied. Even though many of the studies are old, it begs the question if this hormone should be taken out of the closet to learn more about how pregnenalone can improve health and wellbeing. The advantage of this is that studies did not show any toxicity. It’s worthwhile to revisit pregnenolone benefits for men and women and to consider bigger and better studies.
The best pregnenolone benefits for men and women are improving cognitive performance. Pregnenolone is highly concentrated in the brain and is often called a neurosteroid because it is a steroid that also modulates neurotransmitter activity.
- A neurotransmitter is a messenger of neurologic information from one cell to another.
Pregnenolone enhances the release of an important neurotransmitter known called acetylcholine (Ach). ACh neurotransmission is known to be involved in the regulation of memory, attention and plasticity.
- Plasticity is the ability of brain to modify its own structure and function following changes within the body or in the external environment.
These processes are affected in normal aging and pregnenolone has a positive influence in affecting these processes. Just imagine having a brain that is adaptable, flexible and fast with the ability to learn, focus and remember.
- Pregnenolone has been found to be 100 times more effective for memory enhancement than other steroids or steroid-precursors in laboratory mice.
- Pregnenolone appears to be the most potent memory enhancer yet reported in animals.
Pregnenalone benefits for men and women may include regulating modulation of sleep-wakefulness cycle, and particularly the paradoxical sleep through ACh neurotransmission. There is a positive relationship between paradoxical sleep and memory. Spatial memory performance improves with increasing paradoxical sleep. Therefore, one of the pregnenalone benefits for men and women may be increased paradoxical sleep.
Alzheimer’s disease is characterized by decreased brain plasticity. Pregnenolone benefits for men and women are the enhancement of growth and development of nervous tissue otherwise known as neurogenesis. This occurs via modulation of Ach, which improves paradoxical sleep.
- Paradoxical sleep improves growth and development of brain and nervous tissue.
- Pregnenalone erased memory deficits in rats.
A study of industrial psychologists in the 1940’s found that the students/workers had a markedly improved ability to learn and remember difficult tasks when using pregnenolone. Pregnenolone not only enhanced job performance, those studied also experienced heightened feelings of well-being. Another study on factory workers showed pregnenolone improved work productivity especially in situations that were the most stressful Workers also reported enhanced mood.
- Pregnenolone has been reported to not only make people smarter but happier and enhance one’s ability to perform on the job while heightening feelings of well-being.
- Pregnenolone has also been reported to reduce high stress induced fatigue.
Some of the other pregnenolone benefits for men and women are alleviating arthritis, lowering cholesterol, stress reduction and increased resistance to effects of stress, improvement of mood and energy, reduced symptoms of PMS and menopause, improved immunity, combating depression, and repair of myelin sheaths. Pregnenolone may be useful for these conditions and has not been shown to have adverse effects, however any hormone should be monitored by an anti aging and functional medicine doctor. Many other factors affect cognitive functiona and wellbeing so schedule a consultation to determine if pregnenalone is a good choice for you.