Co Q 10, also known as ubiquinol or ubiquinone, is essential for the mitochondria to produce energy. The mitochondria are in every cell of your body. They generate energy to keep cells alive. If mitochondria are not functioning properly illness and cell death occurs. Co Q10 benefits the mitochondria in every cell of the body and has been used to prevent or reverse many illnesses.
The well known Co Q10 benefits are:
- Provides energy to the heart
- Useful in chronic fatigue
- Promotes gum health
- Prevents migraine headaches
- Reverses the muscle pain from taking statin drugs that lower cholesterol
Since CoQ10 benefits mitochondrial function, it may prevent or reverse illnesses due to mitochondria malfunction. Research on CoQ 10 benefits have shown the following:
- Co Q10 benefits vision by slowing macular degeneration along with 200 mg of acetyl-L-carnitine and 780 mg of omega-3 fatty acids,
- Improved immune response in cancer and potential to decrease the spread of cancer cells throughout the body.
- May reduce the toxic effects of chemotherapy that affects the heart
- Slowed the decline in mental function in Parkinson’s disease
- Co Q 10 benefits the chronic multi symptom problems that affect one-quarter to one-third of Gulf War Veterans.
- Reduced wrinkle depth has been shown as another of CoQ10 benefits also shown.
- It may prevent photo aging.
These are exciting findings. Doses range from 20 to over 300 mg.. Co Q10 can cause bleeding so use caution if you are on medications that also cause bleeding or if you have a bleeding disorder. Doses up to 300 mg are generally safe. However, doses of greater than 300 milligrams daily may affect levels of liver enzymes and have more side effects. Consult a functional medicine doctor to determine the best dose for the condition you are treating. Co Q10 benefits can be substantial as it is a great anti oxidant and anti aging supplement.